CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 22, 2011

It's the most wonderful time of the year.....

Around this time of year, I always think of that Staples commercial (or was it Office Depot?)...you know, the one that shows the dad flying around on the cart in the store, throwing school supplies in the cart, while the song "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" plays in the background??  Yep.  That's how I feel most years.  While I enjoy summer, and some relaxing, my family just functions much better with a scheduled routine.  I look forward to getting back in the groove every year.  This year is a little different, though... my oldest is entering high school, and my youngest is entering middle school.  It's such a bittersweet time, and the inescapable fact that my children are growing up is really hitting me hard.  In fact, I teared up at dinner tonight when my husband and I were talking about it.  That wouldn't have been so bad, except that we were in the middle of a restaurant!  :-)

The challenge this week on the H2H blog is to create something school related.  I chose to make a little back-to-school package that would be just perfect for a student to give a teacher on the first day back. 

I decorated an adorable mini-chalkboard I found at Ben Franklin's, made the little paper backpack, and added the 3 x 3 card to top it off .  Stick some little treats in the backpack, and you've got yourself a cute little gift package!  Here are some close-up pictures:


For the chalkboard, I simply positioned the patterned paper on the "naked" chalkboard, and used my craft knife to cut out the middle. 

I then used some old acrylic paint I had on hand on the new Milepost Shapes for embellishment.  Love these pieces!!


The backpack was made using a tutorial I found here.  I think it turned out really cute! 




A sweet little 3 x 3 notecard to finish it off....

There you go!  I know many of you have children that have already started back to school.  Our school system doesn't go back for another week, so I have seven more days to strengthen my resolve not to cry like a baby when Josh and Allie leave for the bus next week.  :-)  

Thanks for looking, and I hope you play along with us at Heart2Heart Challenges this week!  :-)

Supply list (all materials Close To My Heart, except where noted):
paper:  Typeset level 2 paper pack, Colonial white cs, Vineyard Berry cs
inks:  Bamboo, Vineyard Berry, Black
stamp sets:  Blue Ribbon, School Rocks
embellishments:  Milepost Shapes, white grosgrain ribbon, colonial white buttons, chocolate waxy flax, bitty brads (metal assortment), black eyelets (Making Memories),




2 comments:

  1. Everything is so cute! I love making those chalkboards because they become so personal. That backpack is so cute - thanks for sharing the tutorial!! As always, Michelle, your artwork rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your gift ensemble! I'm sure the teacher will love it too. What a great way to start the school!

    ReplyDelete